Pea & Watercress Soup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1.5 litres chicken or veg stock
- 1 kg peas
- 130 g watercress
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- Heat a little olive oil and knob of butter in a pan and gently cook the onions and garlic for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the potato and continue to cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and then bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender
- Add the peas and simmer for another 2- 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the watercress and stir into the soup – this will wilt very quickly.
- Blend with a stick blender until you have a smooth consistency. Season with salt and black pepper and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, grill the bacon until crispy and drain on kitchen paper, break up into little pieces.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the crispy bacon, serve with crusty bread and plenty of butter.