Crisp bright days, mists and mellow fruitfulness, and of course a bounty of seasonal fruit and vegetables – autumn is a lovely time of year at Craigies Farm!
From the sweet and tangy taste of fresh apples to the earthy goodness of roasted root vegetables, this is the season for hearty and comforting dishes that warm the soul.
So, to inspire your autumn cooking, we’re sharing our favourite recipes from Craigies Farm, along cooking tips from our chef to make the most of this abundant season.
The Autumn Pantry
Before we dive into the recipes, let’s take a look at some of the star ingredients of the season:
- Apples: Autumn wouldn’t be complete without the sweet, crisp taste of apples. From pies to cider, apples are versatile and can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes. Did you know you can pick multiple apple varieties in the Craigies orchard?
- Pumpkin and Squash: These colourful gourds are synonymous with autumn. Roasting or pureeing them creates a rich, creamy base for soups, risottos, and pies. Pick your own this autumn from our pumpkin patch!
- Root Vegetables: Carrots, beetroot, parsnips, and sweet potatoes are at their best in the fall. Roast them with a drizzle of olive oil, herbs, and spices for a simple yet delightful side dish.
- Mushrooms: The earthy aroma of mushrooms fills the air in autumn. Incorporate them into pasta dishes, risottos, or sauté them with garlic and herbs for a savoury side.
- Cranberries: These tart, ruby-red berries are a must-have for seasonal sauces, jams, and desserts.
- Brambles: Scotland’s hedgerows are bursting with these tasty berries during autumn – make a tasty dessert or jam, or eat them right off the plant (just don’t forget to give them a wash!)
The Craigies chefs have some delightful recipes up their sleeves that perfectly showcase the flavours of autumn. Whether a savoury main, delicious side or tempting dessert, we have a variety of recipes to follow on our website.
Classic Pumpkin Soup: The perfect way to heat yourself up after a day out in the cold – best served with a slice of warm crusty bread!
Apple & Bramble Crumble: A mouth-watering dessert that is ideal for autumn, and only has 8 ingredients!
Craigies Apple Tart: After a day out picking apples from Craigies orchard, bake them into a warming apple pie.
Pumpkin, Chickpea & Black Kale Curry: A nourishing dish for cooler and shorter days. For this recipe we used a ‘Blue Prince’ pumpkin grown at Craigies Farm.
Parsnip & Apple Soup: A different take on autumnal soup, it’s super easy to make and even easier to enjoy.
Beetroot Risotto: A delicious, comforting beetroot risotto with garden peas, this recipe will have you coming back for seconds!
Honeyed Winter Salad: Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you can’t eat salad! Heart root veg comes together in an easy, nutritious and tasty meal.
Cooking Tips for Autumnal Ingredients
- Embrace Slow Cooking: Autumn is the perfect time to dust off your slow cooker. It’s great for making hearty stews, chili, and braised dishes that fill your home with fantastic aromas.
- Preserve the Harvest: Consider making homemade jams, pickles, or chutneys with seasonal fruits and vegetables. They make great gifts and can be enjoyed throughout the year – they’re also a great activity to do with kids!
- Experiment with Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger are essential spices for autumn. Experiment with these warm, comforting flavours in both sweet and savoury dishes.
Autumn provides so many delicious, hearty ingredients that are just waiting to be transformed into mouthwatering dishes!
Whether you’re sipping on hot apple cider, savouring a slice of pumpkin pie, or enjoying a hearty bowl of soup, the flavours of autumn are sure to warm your heart and delight your tastebuds.
Autumn is a lovely time to visit the farm. Whether you are pumpkin or apple picking, experiencing our spooky Halloween events, cosying up in our café, or having fun in Little Farmers, there’s a day out for everyone at Craigies Farm!