Beetroot & Red Onion Tart Tatin
- 400 g beetroot, cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- flour for rolling
- 500 g block puff pastry (vegan Jus-Rol)
- salad to serve
- Pre Heat oven to 200C/180C.
- In a bowl, toss the beetroot and onion in 2 tbsp of the oil, the vinegar and sugar.
- Add the star anise and season well. Heat the rest of the oil in a large, heavy based oven proof frying pan
- Place the veg so that they cover the surface of the pan. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 45 mins
- On a well-floured surface, roll the pastry to a thickness of 0.5cm and cut out a circle the same size as your frying pan.
- Carefully take the pan out of the oven, remove the foil and shake the beetroot and onion around in the pan to make a compact layer.
- Put the pastry on top, tucking it in all around the edges, then return the pan to the oven and bake for 35 mins or until the pastry is cooked and golden.
- Slide a palate knife around the edge of the tart, then put a plate on top of the pan. Flip the pan over to turn the tart out onto the plate – be careful not to burn yourself with the handle
- Serve with freshly washed salad